Natalie Artman, MSCJ in Forensic Psychology Student

Current occupation: Graduate Assistant, Student, Part Time Sales Associate, Volunteer

What made you decide to pursue your degree as an adult?

I decided to pursue my degree as an adult, because my long-term professional goals require an advanced degree, and I did not see why I should postpone advancing my future.

Why did you choose to study at Tiffin University?

I chose Tiffin University because of their Forensic Psychology program. I have always been interested in criminal behavior, and I wanted to be able to understand offenders and work with them directly. Other programs that I looked into were solely based on psychology or criminal justice, but I wanted a program that blended the two. Tiffin University is one of the few who offer such an interesting and integrated program.

What has been your experience with the program so far?

My experience in the program has been excellent! The coursework is very interesting, and the classes that I have had were rather interactive and engaging.

I absolutely love the faculty in this program! They are incredibly knowledgeable, very helpful, have so much professional experience, and are fun to interact with.

Their backgrounds allow them to provide first-hand insights into the course materials, and also allows for some interesting stories to lighten up the class during a lecture.

What keeps you motivated to stay in the program?

My professional goals definitely keep me motivated. Classwork can get difficult at times, but I remind myself that I am not just doing this for me, but for my future career and all those in the criminal justice system that I may have to opportunity to help.

What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about going back to school?

Don’t wait to do it. There are so many obstacles that come up in our lives, and we tell ourselves that we can keep pushing back things that are not a top priority, but we also need to think about what is important to us and our futures. It is easy to get back into the swing of things when it comes to going back to school. Just make sure that you stay organized and keep track of all your due dates. It will be worth it in the end!

TU’s motto is: Without risk there is no gain. Can you tell us about a time when you took a risk and what you gained from it?

I began volunteering with two different organizations while working two part time jobs and taking classes full time. For me, this was a risk as I was worried I would overwhelm myself with these various responsibilities and would have to quit something I committed myself to. After a while, I began to feel confident in my capabilities of balancing all these different things. I gained a lot of knowledge from these organizations that aided me not only in my education, but also in my professional development. I also learned that I do not need to limit myself to work that I am comfortable with, as I can adapt and build my organizations skills to fit my responsibilities. It was a risk well worth it, and a risk that I continue to take through my graduate program.

Learn more about our Master’s in Criminal Justice Programs