alyson camelin

Alyson Camelin, Bachelor of  Criminal Justice in Corrections

Current occupation: Home Health Aide

What made you decide to pursue your degree as an adult?

I have always had the goal of completing a degree in Criminal Justice not only for myself but for my family. I wanted to show my children that you can achieve anything if you put work and effort into it. I will also be the first in my immediate family to pursue a college degree and that makes achieving this goal important to me.

Why did you choose to study at Tiffin University?

I liked the flexibility that Tiffin University offers students. It has allowed me to be a full-time mother, full-time employee, and a full-time student at the same time. The online program is beneficial for maintaining all of the above, and the great statistics on graduating classes was encouraging.

What has been your experience with the program so far?

My experience has been amazing! I was anxious in the beginning of my program as far as how much social interaction I would get and if professors were available when I needed assistance. Social interaction is present even with online classes, I have gained friends that I followed through from class to class and we have participated in many discussion posts together. Professors were also always there when I needed assistance or was struggling! There was a very small learning curve when it came to technology and learning how to problem solve certain situations.

How has your experience been with faculty?

The faculty at Tiffin University has been very helpful with guidance and problem-solving assistance anytime I needed them! My academic advisors and professors have always kept in close contact with me throughout each semester to ensure I was managing well. Everyone I have encountered within Tiffin Faculty has had my academic success in mind, and has pushed me to always do my best!

How are you juggling work, life and going back to school? Any tips?

When I first entered the program it was hard to adjust because I was learning so many new things about online courses all at once. I was able to adjust pretty quickly once I got the hang of things, and would suggest that anyone nervous about this take steps towards time management. Set aside certain day(s) and time(s) to do your classwork and complete work shifts; also try to incorporate one day in which you do neither of these things! A big tip is not to attempt to do everything at once, if you try to complete all of your homework in one day you may find yourself overwhelmed. Ensure you are spreading out all of your tasks, and enjoy your educational experience!

What keeps you motivated to stay in the program?

My family; kids, and husband all motivate me to stay in the program and achieve a better future for our family. The idea that I will be in a career path I love following my Tiffin University journey is also a big motivator!

What advice would you give to a prospective student who is thinking about going back to school?

Take the leap! Do not let other people’s opinions or experiences discourage you, and make the best of your school experience! It is never too early or too late to further your education! Take your time, work at your own pace, and you will make it to the finish line.

TU’s motto is: Without risk there is no gain. Can you tell us about a time when you took a risk and what you gained from it?

My entire journey with school has been a risk with everything else I balance in my personal life however, I would say my internship was a significant risk. I last minute changed my internship to better fit what my expectations were from the experience. I took on extra hours on top of my full semester and my work life but I was able to manage! I pushed myself and was successful in the end while also gaining substantial experiences to assist me in my future career.

Learn about our Bachelor of Criminal Justice Programs