alyssa quintana

Alyssa Quintana, MS in Criminal Justice: Crime Analysis

Current occupation: Legal Clerk

What made you decide to pursue your degree as an adult?

After receiving my BA in Sociology, I was undecided about what field I wanted to work in. So I waited before jumping into a Master’s program. After working in law enforcement for a few years, I gained a passion for crime analysis and I wanted to become a crime analyst. I decided to pursue my degree to help supplement my career and provide new professional opportunities.

Why did you choose to study at Tiffin University?

After deciding on the field for my degree, I wanted to be in a program that concentrated on Crime Analysis. This specific program at Tiffin was highly recommended by a few alumni, who are now successful crime analysts. After reviewing the program and learning how it is designed for full-time working individuals, I knew this was the right school for me.

What has been your experience with the program so far?

I have really enjoyed my time in the program. Living in California, I was nervous to commit to a school that is across the country and entirely online. The structure of the program has made it a pleasant experience. The setup of the classes through the Moodle platform is very user-friendly and easy to follow week by week.

How has your experience been with faculty and your cohort?

The faculty, as well as my cohort, have all been very welcoming! All of my instructors have been extremely helpful by always being available for questions or advice. They are easy to communicate with and very caring. With the small class size, it has been nice to have the opportunity to get to know everyone in my cohort. Learning alongside other professionals in the field enriched my experience. I would also like to mention the advisors, financial aid office, and other student services are a delight to interact with.

How are you juggling work, life and going back to school? Any tips?

I am going to be honest; it is not easy. BUT with proper time management and planning, it is doable! I highly recommend a planner; it has been my sidekick throughout my program and I would be lost without it.

What keeps you motivated to stay in the program?

My personal goals and support system is what keeps me motivated. I am surrounded by family and friends that understand my commitment and inspire me to obtain my goals. Knowing that I will more than likely only get one Masters’s degree in my life, it motivates me to make the most of it and do it right.

What advice would you give to a prospective student who is thinking about going back to school?

I am a huge advocate for education, so for anyone who is thinking about it, I would say you should go for it!! Don’t let fear hold you back from accomplishing your goals. It will be one of the most rewarding challenges.

TU’s motto is: Without risk there is no gain. Can you tell us about a time when you took a risk and what you gained from it?

Leon Brown once said, “You cannot grow unless you are willing to change. You will never improve yourself if you cling to what used to be.” With change, there is often risk. In order to achieve my personal and professional goals, I needed to grow and improve. I took a risk on simultaneously being a mom, working full-time and going to school full-time, while not knowing if I could successfully balance it all. What I have gained is skill, knowledge, my degree, and most important of all, I proved to myself I could do it.

Learn about our Master of Science in Criminal Justice Programs