todd richards

Todd Richards, Master of Humanities – English

Current occupation: Drug and Alcohol Counselor / Author

What made you decide to pursue your degree as an adult?

As a younger man I lived a rather adventurous life, and while I wouldn’t trade one minute of that time, I never managed to obtain a college degree. Now that I’m older and settled into a few occupations that keep me very busy, I’ve decided to go back to college. In a few weeks I graduate with my Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology at Missouri State University. In January I begin the Master’s Degree in Humanities – English at Tiffin University.

Why did you choose to study at Tiffin University?

I needed a great online program that would allow me to study English Literature, and the program offered at Tiffin had more of the courses that appealed to me in that discipline than what other universities offered.

What has been your experience with the program so far?

I haven’ t started yet. I begin in January, and I’m really looking forward to it. So far I’ve spoken with my advisor Nick Bollinger and Dr. Stephanie Opfer. Mr. Bollinger is fantastic, he was great with all my questions and really made the process understandable and manageable for me. Dr. Opfer took time to answer my questions about the program and describe to me what I could expect in the classes for my degree.

How are you juggling work, life and going back to school?

I work full-time and go to college full-time, and that’s about all I have time for because there’s so much homework. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this approach, but I’m willing to do this to meet my goals. I keep telling myself, this is temporary and great accomplishments are never easy.

What advice would you give to a prospective student who is thinking about going back to school?

Do it. If not now, when? You can accomplish your degree. It will require a great effort, but aren’t you worth it?

TU’s motto is: Without risk there is no gain. Can you tell us about a time when you took a risk and what you gained from it?

I wanted to be a writer for decades. For years I outlined stories and basically “entertained” the idea. I took a risk when I got serious and decided to write novels. All kinds of questions ran through my mind. Will I be able to do it? Will anyone read them. Will I make any money? Well, a decade later, I have 5 novels and one collection of short stories to my credit. It has been extremely rewarding.

Learn about our Master of Humanities Programs