burgandy goddard tiffin university online student

Burgandy Goddard, BA in Workplace Leadership

Current occupation: Self-employed Child Caregiver

What made you decide to pursue your degree as an adult?

I did not realize my calling in the workplace until I was in my mid 20’s. That was when I went back to community college to earn a degree in education. I did not anticipate at that time that I would return to school for a bachelor’s, but when I realized what career path I want to be on, I learned that I needed more education to get there.

Why did you choose to study at Tiffin University?

After much research, I choose Tiffin University because of the ease of online only classes, the seven-week course terms opposed to full semester length and that it is a private University.

What has been your experience with the program so far?

My experience with the program has been great so far. I like how the courses are laid out in seven-weeks at a time because I am a fast paced worker. I have to keep moving, otherwise I procrastinate. To be honest, nothing really surprised me or made me feel anxious. The technology is easy to use. I really like how each week is laid out with what is due first to last and all the resources provided by the instructors each week.

My interactions with the faculty have be amazing! I feel so welcomed. To be honest, I feel sort of on a pedestal with the praise and positive encouragement I receive from TU faculty for going back to school during this time in my life. It definitely gives me that confidence boost knowing I got this and I CAN succeed.

I feel sort of on a pedestal with the praise and positive encouragement I receive from TU faculty for going back to school during this time in my life.

How are you juggling work, life and going back to school?

I will be honest, it has not been easy juggling the demands of adulthood as well as school. But, you eventually find a rhythm and then everything becomes routine. My advice is to find the breaks in your life to sit down to do the work like before the kids get up for the day, during naptime or on your lunch break, or just an hour before bedtime. I also advise you to give yourself one day to relax. It is OKAY for you to refresh yourself within a week of school work.

What keeps you motivated to stay in the program?

I have many motivations to stay in the program like my career goals and my family! However, I will admit that the TU faculty have been my positive motivators.

What advice would you give to a prospective student who is thinking about going back to school?

You have that goal in life, don’t wish it…DO IT! Don’t be afraid of the work, because you will not be left astray at TU. Every time I have reached out I have received the help and guidance I needed with no questions asked.

TU’s motto is: Without risk there is no gain. Can you tell us about a time when you took a risk and what you gained from it?

I took a risk by applying for the Administrator position at Wesley Center back in 2017. I was very nervous and worried that one; I wouldn’t get the job and two; I wouldn’t be a good leader. But my desire to be and do more outweighed my fears. I was offered the job and remained the Administrator for three years. Within that time I was successful at making many positive changes like creating a website, installing new security measures, updating the play structures and earning a 3-Star Rating through Step-up-to-Quality. I gained much wisdom while directing Wesley Center, so much in fact, that it gave me a new goal; to become a Child Care Licensed Specialist. That is why I decided to go back to school to earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree. Had I not taking that risk of submitting my resume for the Administrator position, I may not have gotten to where I am today as a student of Tiffin University with a goal to make a difference in the lives of children.

Learn about our BA in Workplace Leadership Program