kimberly cassidy causby headshot

Kimberly Causby (Cassidy), 2013, had a challenging journey from high school to college graduation. In between the two accomplishments the Mason, Ohio native divorced twice and remarried, raised three sons and rewrote the script of her life.   

“Not everyone starts with a solid foundation and an environment that nourishes you and cheers you on to success,” Kim said. Out of respect for her parents, she simply says her childhood was a difficult one and that made for a challenging life journey. “I had to dig deep and find the fire in myself to overcome what would seem to be impossible. Tiffin University was part of that journey. I chose TU because it was visibly recognized above other online programs. TU propelled me to opportunities. I am proud to be a TU graduate.”

“I had to dig deep and find the fire in myself to overcome what would seem to be impossible. Tiffin University was part of that journey. … TU propelled me to opportunities. I am proud to be a TU graduate.”

Kim’s adult life started at age 18. It was her senior year in high school when her parents suggested she start life on her own. With no permanent address and no money to continue her private, all-girls’ school, she dropped out, got her GED and married her high school sweetheart.

While that didn’t work out, she says her first husband’s mother initiated a deep faith that would sustain her through the challenges to come. That faith carried her through hard times and eventually to a bachelor’s of business administration degree which led her to a career in human resources.

While Kim wanted a lot for herself, she wanted even more for her three sons Justin, Matthew and Jacob. “I wanted to give them more than what I had,” she said. “I wanted to break the chains that are passed from generation to generation. I was told once that I would be nothing more than a statistic,” she said, “so I ended up using those words to overcome the impossible.”

“I was going to be the rare person to pull myself up,” she said. “So I decided to go to school full-time, work full-time developing my career and raise 3 boys independently.” Living outside Chicago at the time, Kim chose Tiffin University for the online programs. Despite the miles between student and school, she said “Tiffin University became my family and my classmates were the people cheering me along the way. The administration and professors were phenomenal.”

“Tiffin University became my family and my classmates were the people cheering me along the way. The administration and professors were phenomenal.”

“I had to pay for my college tuition in cash but I had no child support and was barely paying for childcare. When I shared this with TU’s financial aid department and my advisor that I wouldn’t be able to take classes the next semester, they awarded me a scholarship so I could continue. Their care for me has never been forgotten. I donated to Tiffin University’s annual fund last year and will be donating again this year to pay it forward to someone else in the same situation. I will be forever grateful for the amazing people at TU who were put in my path and helped me complete my degree,” she said. 

Today Kim works in Global Talent Acquisition for Mondelez International Global HQ (Nabisco) in Deerfield, Illinois. She searches for talent to bring into the organization throughout North America and Canada. “I spend the majority of my day learning about people, what they are looking for from a career perspective and I help them find a position within our organization. It is awesome to watch them grow and develop. In the same way, it is an opportunity to help build teams within the organization to meet our overall goals as a company.”  

One of Kim’s proudest accomplishments was leading the centralization of sales merchandiser recruitment for the U.S. division. Her contributions have led to two manager’s awards and the 2017 Global HR Best of the Best award. 

Kim’s success has been a positive influence on her sons. Two are in college, with one attending Tiffin University’s online program, while one is a senior in high school. “As I enter into a new phase of my life, I want to inspire others and share how faith can move mountains,” she says. “Dream big! Have faith in those dreams and go after them.”

Learn How to Apply to Tiffin University