jacob carr headshot

Jake Carr, BCJ – Justice Administration; in-person student at Owens Community College

Current occupation: Probation Officer (Electronic Monitoring)

What made you decide to pursue your degree as an adult?

I started my career with Lucas County as a corrections officer having only my Associates Degree from Owens Community College. However, after a few years of working I decided I wanted to pursue a better position and obtaining a Bachelors Degree was the major obstacle in my career path.

Why did you choose to study at Tiffin University?

While I researched many different options to complete my degree, I ultimately decided the degree completion program through Tiffin. Despite living in Lucas County, the program offered classes at Owens Community College and a schedule which allowed me to still work Full-Time with minimal interference with my work or family life.

What has been your experience with the program so far? What has your experience been with the teaching staff in the program?

Overall the experience was great! I had Kelly P. helping me along the way who assumed a mentor-like role with us in the cohort. It made the work much less strenuous knowing I didn’t have to worry about establishing my schedule and worry about providing proper documents. I also was able to take advantage of many of the lesser-known options Tiffin had to offer. For example, I was able to test-out (at Owens) of IST course and was also able to receive credit for a course based on my work experience! This not only saved me money but allowed to to finish my degree as scheduled! Without the help of Kelly none of that would have been possible!

I also was able to take advantage of many of the lesser-known options Tiffin had to offer. For example, I was able to test-out (at Owens) of IST course and was also able to receive credit for a course based on my work experience!

What keeps you motivated to stay in the program?

I think the ease of knowing the “extra” stuff required for school (i.e. registering, FAFSA, required documents, meeting locations, deadlines) would always be taken care of kept me motivated throughout the program. Essentially, I would receive my class schedule a few weeks before class started, and could solely focus on my classes and required work semester to semester.

What advice would you give to a prospective student who is thinking about going back to school?

I would absolutely recommend going back to school! In fact I plan on obtaining my Masters Degree and would not consider anywhere else but Tiffin!

TU’s motto is: Without risk there is no gain. Can you tell us about a time when you took a risk and what you gained from it?

Deciding to go back to school was my biggest risk! I decided literally in late July of 2016 and was somehow registered and set to go within a couple of weeks! While it seemed overwhelming at first (having worked FT and not attended college for 3 years) it was an easy transition back on the grind! Like I said before, without the help of Kelly and the staff at TU none of this would have been possible! I’m grateful everyday I chose to finish my degree and am hopeful to be continuing my education in the near future!

Learn more about our BCJ Programs