Isaiah M. Lumpkins Headshots

Isaiah M. Lumpkins, B.A. Psychology

Current occupation: Mental Health Worker

What made you decide to pursue your degree as an adult?

I wanted to prove to myself and show my children that it is never too late to fulfill a dream. My oldest child is now a freshman in college, and I wanted to lead by example.

Why did you choose to study at Tiffin University?

Tiffin University presented the perfect opportunity for me. The online program was affordable and allowed me to continue working while also completing my degree. Tiffin University offered an online class structure and flexibility that was very beneficial to me.

What has been your experience with the program so far? What has your experience been with the teaching staff in the program?

I have loved every moment of my Tiffin experience. It has not been easy, but with an encouraging family, a helpful adviser, and supportive faculty, I have been able to work toward completing my degree and excel in the process. The faculty has been helpful as well as available, which was a welcomed surprise from an online format.

What keeps you motivated to stay in the program?

You have to be self-motivated to begin and complete this journey. Also, after every term the road becomes a little more clearer and the destination a little bit closer. At the conclusion of each term I have been motivated to keep going. My faith, my family, and my focus have continued to guide me through this educational experience.

What advice would you give to a prospective student who is thinking about going back to school?

I would tell a prospective student that the only thing that will hinder this process is in thinking that going back to school can’t be done. I would also encourage and challenge them to believe in themselves. Ultimately, my advice would be JUST DO IT! Forget past failure, present fears and future concerns. Take advantage of a wonderful opportunity that can be both satisfying and rewarding.

TU’s motto is: Without risk there is no gain. Can you tell us about a time when you took a risk and what you gained from it?

The biggest risk I’ve recently had to overcome was the fear of failure. I had been out of school for quite some time before enrolling at Tiffin University. I was afraid the work would be too tough and the demands too great. I decided to stop making excuses and believe in myself. It has been reinforced that no task is unattainable and no goal is unreachable. I have learned resilience and gained a greater appreciation for the college experience. I am evidence that TU’s motto is true…without risk, there is no gain.

Learn more about our Bachelor of Arts Programs