aaron abbott m-ed

Aaron Abbott, M. Ed. in Higher Education Administration Student

Current occupation: Supervisor – Safety Services Department

What made you decide to pursue your degree as an adult?

I felt the need to further advance my education as I approached my 30’s. I used my 20’s to obtain my undergrad as well as establishing a solid work history. I am now ready to take my profession to the next level by obtaining a master’s degree from Tiffin University.

What has been your experience with the program so far?

My experiences have been great! Instructors have been very easy to approach with questions as well as providing timely responses to any questions I have presented. The format of the program is also very helpful to someone who maintains a hectic schedule such as myself.

What keeps you motivated to stay in the program?

The end goal, a master’s in higher education administration. I look at this degree as opening many doors for me to further my career with the institution I am currently employed at.

What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about going back to school?

Stick with it! This program is designed to challenge you, but also to assist you. Instructors are here to help, not confuse you.

TU’s motto is: Without risk there is no gain. Can you tell us about a time when you took a risk and what you gained from it?

I left a five year career in criminal justice prior to becoming involved in higher education work. I was an officer for the city I grew up in from 2012-2017. I enjoyed the job for the first few years; however, got burnt out very quick. I knew after year three that this wasn’t the career path I would retire from. I harbored feelings of doubt and often contemplating leaving sooner than I did. Finally, in September of 2017, I decided to take a risk and applied to grad school at Tiffin University.

Once I found out I got accepted, I tendered my resignation and left my career in law enforcement. Having no job, no plan, and no clue where I was going, I embraced the future with a sense of optimism. In December of 2017 I accepted a supervisor position at Ashland University with their Safety Services Department. I have never been happier! Ashland University is my home now and I plan on investing many, many, years towards serving both our students and staff alike.

Learn more about our Master’s Programs